This Cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole is rich and creamy and truly the perfect dish for special occasions, potlucks and cheat days.
Guilty pleasures. We all have them, we all try to avoid them, we all ultimately fail at leaving them alone. In my case I have two vices, carbs and cheese. Well… there’s more than just two but in the interest of keeping this post to under 500 words, we will just work with those two specifically.
That being said, this Cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole recipe is one of my favorites and it will soon be one of yours, too.
This Cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole is that go-to dish that is perfect for special occasions, potlucks and cheat days. It’s rich and cheesy and creamy with pieces of crisp bacon and spicy green onions to really balance out and make it the perfect potato casserole dish. Like it a bit chunkier? No problem. Want to throw in some broccoli or chili? Whatever twirls your skirt up! Like to leave the skins on your potatoes? Add some into your mixing bowl. Seriously, you can add in whatever sides you normally like on your little plain Jane baked potatoes… remember, that’s the fun part of cooking.
I have been making individual twice baked potatoes for a long time now and I wasn’t sure if mixing it all into a casserole dish was going to translate as well as what I had grown used to.. you know… the little baked boats of cheese, toppings and overflowing yumminess that you always say ‘Gosh, I probably won’t even be able to eat one half of one’ … and then you lose your mind and eat the WHOLE potato!
I find there is a lot less judgement involved with a casserole.
So go ahead, break out those yoga pants and find your favorite marathon playing on TV… this Cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole is one guilty pleasure you won’t regret.
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think… or just say Hi! I love hearing from you!!
- 5 lbs russet baking potatoes
- 8 tbl butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 pieces bacon , cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1 lb sharp Cheddar , shredded - divided
- 1 lb extra sharp Cheddar , shredded
- 6 green onions , diced
- 3 eggs , lightly beaten
- Bake your potatoes in a 450 degree oven for 1 hour or until fork tender
- Remove potatoes from oven and slice in half. With a clean dishtowel, pick up each half and scrape out the potato and drop filling into a large mixing bowl. Do this with all of the potatoes and then discard the skins.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- With a electric hand mixer, break up the potatoes and lightly whip.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except for 1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Whip all ingredients together until you reach the consistency you prefer (smooth vs chunky)
- Pour into a 13 x 9 casserole dish and sprinkle on the remaining cheese on top
- Cook for 25 minutes or until your cheese is brown and bubbly
- Remove from oven and serve immediately