Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies are the perfect way to celebrate the holiday season. Rich, chewy, indulgent and bursting with peppermint flavor.
Four words … Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Now that I have your attention, let’s talk about Christmas cookies. Christmas cookies are my favorite thing to bake each year and I can be a bit over the top with them.
It’s a compulsion, I need a support group, I admit that I have a problem.
Some people make one kind of of Christmas cookie and call it a day. Maybe their favorite cookie are Snickerdoodles or Magic Bars or Peanut Butter Blossoms so that make that one type of cookie that they love and that is the cookie that everyone gets. I respect those people and their commitment to their decisive decision making. #myhero
Sigh …. then there is me.
Me.. who loves cookies. Me who cannot narrow down her cookie making decision tree to a normal persons selection. Me who has to make at least 8 different cookies every year for no reason other than… I LOVE CHRISTMAS COOKIES!!!!!! Now, I too, have my favorites.. those would be the Snickerdoodles, Magic Bars and Peanut Butter Blossoms mentioned earlier. However, there is a new sweet treat that is quickly running up the ranks this year, Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies.
Oh my!! These are amazing! These Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies just scream Merry Christmas with their rich dark chocolate and their peppermint and their powdered sugar. They are the perfect embodiment of all that is indulgent and sugar love this time of year.
** One tip – if you are like me and combine all of your cookies in one big cookie trough ..er… tin, store these in a separate zip top bag … if you don’t, everything else will eventually taste like peppermint. Not a bad thing but I want my Soft Baked Orange Sugar Cookies to taste like orange and not some orange / peppermint hybrid. I learned this one the hard way 🙂
Happiness and blessings!
- 1/2 cup butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tbl instant coffee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chip morsels
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar and mix until fluffy and light and then mix in the egg, instant coffee and peppermint until it is all incorporated
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in small batches until it has all been mixed in.
- Once this is done, add in the dark chocolate morsels and using your mixer, mix them in too
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and move to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl add the powdered sugar for rolling
- Using a spoon (or just your hands) grab off a piece of the dough and using your hands roll dough into 1 inch balls
- Roll the balls through the powdered sugar and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container
- *Once completely cool, I often re-coat the tops of the cookies in powdered sugar again.. it makes them pretty 🙂