Southwest Cornbread Skillet is a hearty combination of sweet cornbread and seasoned pork. Comfort food at it’s best!
If there is one thing in my kitchen that I can’t live without, it’s probably going to be my slow cooker. As the weather cools down and summer rolls into fall, that bad boy is cranking just about every weekend with one concoction or another. I’ve done desserts in it and I’ve done side dishes in it but what it normally gets fed is PORK. I make no apologies, pulled pork simmering in a low and slow stew of spices … that’s nothing but 100% piggy happiness to the max.
Burritos, wraps, Jerk Pulled Pork, the list goes on and on but the one struggle I find is what else to do with all that left over pork? Even I can only eat pork wraps three or four times in a row when I start wanting something different (yes, I said three or four … don’t judge) from my mountain of spicy heaven on a plate.
So what would go with pork? What compliments spicy? As a follow up tribute to my Jerk Pulled Pork with Sweet Corn Cake recipe, I wanted something that would really stand up to when winter comes blowing through and those nights when you need something super hearty and filling.
So WAM, BAM, PORKY SHAZAM… I set forth to make the ultimate in comfort food. Now this Southwest Cornbread Skillet dish is not just for left over pulled pork. This Southwest Cornbread Skillet recipe can be made with shredded chicken, ground beef, left over steak… anything that you have in your fridge and that will pair well with homemade taco seasoning flavor.
Last nights salmon? Probably not…
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think… or just say Hi! I love hearing from you!!
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c cornmeal
- 1 tb baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 tbl melted butter
- 2 tbl honey
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Southwest Seasoning
- 2 tbl chili powder
- 1 tbl cumin
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Everything Else
- 16 oz pulled pork or any cooked meat preference
- 1 15 oz can of corn , drained
- 1 15 oz can of black beans , drained and rinsed
- 4 oz can diced green chili
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk only combining until just incorporated
- Let mixture sit for at least 5 minutes while you prepare the meat mixture
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add in your cooked pork / meat and combine with all of the southwest spices
- Add in the diced green chilis and stir to combine all ingredients. If mixture is too thick you can add a few tablespoons of water or broth to thin it out
- Once combined, let meat simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through (if using leftovers)
- Spray a 9 x 9 cooking pan with non stick spray (or use your favorite cast iron skillet) and pour 1/2 of your cornbread batter into the bottom of it
- Spoon the meat mixture gently on top of the batter and then cover the meat with a layer corn, a layer of black beans and a layer of shredded cheese
- Pour the remaining cornbread batter on top of the cheese making sure the top is even
- ... you can sprinkle more cheese on top...
- Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- When done, remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes before serving