Oven Broiled Mexican Flank Steak
Marinated in Mexican flavors, this broiled flank steak stays juicy and tender from oven to table and is a family favorite fast dinner ready to serve in 15 minutes or less.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Marinating Time5 hrs
Total Time5 hrs 15 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 large jalapeno pepper ribs, seeds and core removed
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2-3 large slices red onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 6 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Start by adding all of the ingredients except the steak to a food processor and blend to combine. Pour your Mexican marinade into a large zip top bag or container and the add your flank steak. Push out any extra air then seal the zip top bag tightly, squish the marinade around the meat to make sure it is all covered and then park your steak in your refrigerator for anywhere from 5 hours to 12 hours to marinate.
Once your Mexican flank steak has marinated, remove the bag from the fridge and let sit on the counter while you prepare your Pineapple Salsa, sauce and rice.
To re-purpose your marinade into a serving sauce, start by pouring your remaining marinade into a small saucepan and heating over medium high heat, stirring often and watching that it doesn't burn. Bring to a rolling boil and once the marinade has reached a boil, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Next, prepare your Pineapple salsa as instructed HERE. Add in a few slices of chopped red pepper to add even more flavor and color to your dish and prepare your white or yellow rice following the package instructions.
To cook your Mexican flank steak, heat you oven to Broil and once heated, line a baking sheet with foil and spray non-stick cooking spray. Add you steak to a baking pan and move your oven rack to 6 inches below the broiler. Broil your marinated steak for 4-5 minutes on one side, flip and broil for another 4-5 minutes on the second side, depending on how done you like your steak. Remove from the oven, transfer to a plate and cover with foil and let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain in thin slices.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT BROILED FLANK STEAK
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- Don't let your meat marinate more than 12 hours. The lime in the marinade will start to break down the meat too much without adding any additional flavor.
- Nervous about re-purposing your marinade for additional dipping sauce? Hold back 1/2 a cup or so of your marinade before adding your meat to it to use later.
- If you still are unsure about re-purposing the used meat marinade for sauce, this is an approved suggestion according to the USDA's food safety guidelines.
- Be sure to let your meat rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it against the grain.
- If you are someone who doesn't like cilantro, simply leave it out.
- Cooking time is an estimate and depends on the thickness of your meat and how well you like it cooked. Use a meat thermometer for accuracy.
- When preparing your Pineapple salsa, add in a few slices of chopped red pepper to add even more flavor and color to your dish
- Don't want to use an oven broiler? Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat on your stove top and cook meat for about 5-6 minutes per side.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 577.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.9g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 41.3g | Saturated Fat: 9.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 85.1mg | Sodium: 1692.4mg | Potassium: 782.1mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 3.6g | Vitamin A: 7.3IU | Vitamin C: 55.5mg | Calcium: 7.2mg | Iron: 30.7mg