Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
These Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies are chewy, buttery cookies coated in cinnamon and sugar and soft-baked to perfection. This classic cookie recipe delivers chewy centers and perfectly crisp edges for the BEST snickerdoodles.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Chill Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 48 ea
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar for rolling
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon for rolling
To make this Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
Next, combine butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one by one and then add the vanilla.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in small increments, combining completely until all has been incorporated.
Lightly cover with plastic wrap and move your mixing bowl to chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.Once chilled, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove the chilled cookie dough and in a small bowl combine the last 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon. This will be for your coating.
Roll dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and then roll through the cinnamon sugar, making sure each cookie ball is generously coated. Then roll them through the cinnamon sugar again to double coat.
Move your cookies to your prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and when you remove from the oven, let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1-2 minutes before transfering to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
PRO TIPS TO NAIL THE BEST SNICKERDOODLE RECIPE
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- Beat the butter and sugar until its very light and fluffy, at least 2-3 minutes. It whips air into the cookie dough.
- You want to make sure you are measuring your flour correctly. If you scoop out a measuring cup of flour directly from the bag, you will pack in way too much flour which will result in cake-like cookies. To avoid this, spoon the flour into the measuring cup until its overfilled and then use the back of a butter knife to level the measuring cup at the top. Now you have the perfect flour measurement!
- Be sure to use room temperature eggs. Room temperature eggs helps give your cookies a lighter texture.. Plan ahead and pull the eggs out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before use.
- Don't forget the Cream of Tartar, it gives it the signature tangy flavor and chewy texture.
- Chill your dough for 1 hour so you cookies do not spread out too flat when baking.
- Take the time to double roll the cookie balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. This helps to make sure the cookies are completely coated in cinnamon-sugar before baking.
- Don't over bake these snickerdoodles. You just want the edges to be a lightly golden. Chewy snickerdoodles are not over baked. Remove when you think they are slightly underdone and let them finish off out of the oven.
- If you want these easy snickerdoodles to be flat, press the dough balls down in the center before placing in the oven. Use the bottom of a flat cup or small plate.
Serving: 48ea | Calories: 87.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.2g | Cholesterol: 18.1mg | Sodium: 41.9mg | Potassium: 15.7mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 7.1g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.5mg