Halloween Spiderweb Cake
This Halloween Spiderweb Cake is a perfectly spiced and moist pumpkin cake covered in black chocolate buttercream frosting and covered with marshmallow spiderweb topping. The perfect spooky Halloween cake to celebrate the season.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 12 Portions
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- black food coloring paste
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F and prepare three 8-inch round cake pans by lining with parchment paper and spraying with non-stick spray. Set aside
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add in vanilla, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vegetable oil. Slowly stir in the milk and the flour mixture until all has been incorporated
Divide batter evenly into your prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan and moving to cooling rack. Let cake cool completely. When cooled, gently trim the top of the cakes to make your cake even on top.
Black Buttercream Frosting
Next, to make your Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, cream together softened butter until light and fluffy. Add sifted powdered sugar, dark cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and milk then mix slowly until all has been incorporated ... once mixed well, add in the black food coloring and mix on high for 1 minute. Assemble the 3 cake layers with a layer of frosting in between each layer and a thin layer of chocolate frosting on the top and sides.
Once your cake is frosted, add mini-marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl and heat on High for 20-40 seconds, stirring midway through to remove any lumps. Let marshmallows cool for 1-2 minutes before grabbing a large dollop and stretching it between you hands to create the spiderweb effect you are looking for. Place your marshmallow spiderwebs all around the sides and top of the cake. Store cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT PUMPKIN SPIDERWEB CAKE
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- Take the few extra minutes to trace out your parchment paper to line the bottom of your cake pans. This is a life saver and you will be rewarded with cake that tip right out of your pan without ever getting stuck.
- For cake liners, simply place your pans on your parchment paper, trace around the bottom of your pan, cut out the circles out and then spray a bit of non-stick spray in your pan and place your circle. Then spray the entire inside of your cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Don't over-mix your cake batter. Too much wear and tear on a cake batter leads to a tough cake.
- To trim the tops of your cakes, use a sharp serrated bread knife or a cake leveler. I just (finally!) purchased a leveler from Amazon for under ten dollars and I already don't know how I ever lived without it.
- When you get to your top layer of cake, flip it upside down. This will give you a perfectly even top to your cake and perfect edges.
- I know it's a pain but be sure to sift your cocoa and powdered sugar before making your buttercream frosting... anytime I haven't, I've ended up with lumps every time. Every. Time.
- Black food coloring comes in liquid, gel and concentrated paste. Pass on the liquid but the gel and paste are perfect to add some scary-awesome color to your frosting.
- Marshmallow spiderwebs are super sticky. Once you stretch them over your cake, if anything else touches them, the marshmallows will stick. .... trust me .... !
Serving: 12ea | Calories: 767.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 92.8g | Protein: 7.8g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 23.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12.2g | Cholesterol: 143.1mg | Sodium: 294.5mg | Potassium: 199.3mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 64.2g | Vitamin A: 6090IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.4mg