Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookies
These Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookies are made with a chocolate sugar cookie dough and have a rich chocolate flavor, they hold their shape perfectly and are the best Halloween cut out cookies to celebrate the Halloween season.
Prep Time1 hr 30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
- 2 cups butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- edible candy eyes
- red, black, white decorating icing
To make your Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookies, start by mixing together your butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the eggs, one by one and add the vanilla. Sift together your flour, salt, and cocoa powder and then slowly incorporate your dry ingredients with your wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl one or twice.
Once your Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookie batter is mixed, measure out two pieces of parchment paper the same size as your baking tray. This Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookie recipe works great using one large jelly roll tray or TWO 9 x 13 baking trays. Move your cookie batter to one of the sheets of parchment paper and add the second piece on top of your batter. Using a heavy rolling pin, lightly tap the ball of Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookie batter into a flat rectangle you can work with. Roll out the cookie batter to fit your baking tray and when done, gently slide your parchment paper and cookie batter onto the baking tray and move to the refrigerator for one hour.
After that hour, remove from the fridge and slide off of the tray and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut your cookies with your cookie cutters and then add your now cut cookies back to the cooking tray, again lined with parchment paper. Once you have all of your cut out cookies on your tray(s), move the tray(s) back to the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This helps the Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookie keep their shape. After 15 minutes passes, pop your tray(s) into the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Remove and let sit on the tray for one minute before gently moving to a baking rack to cool completely before decorating. Re-roll and repeat the steps with any unused cookie dough remaining.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE VOODOO DOLL COOKIES
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- Don’t skip parking the cookie dough in the refrigerator. This step helps your cut out cookies keep their shape. Super important!
- Don’t roll your Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookies too thin. You want them to be a bit fat. I rolled my dough to about 1/4 inch thick before cutting out the cookies.
- When rolling your cookie batter out in-between the two sheets of parchment paper, take note of the paper itself. I found when rolling out my batter, if the batter was even under the top layer of paper, it imprinted on the parchment paper differently than the places where it was uneven or thinner (edges). Watching the differences in the parchment paper will help guide you to an even layer of cookie batter.
- When you remove these Chocolate Voodoo Doll Cookies from the oven, even after letting them sit on the tray for a minute, these cookies are very delicate until they cool completely. Be gentle.
- Take your time drawing your 'stitch' lines .. practice your technique beforehand before trying it on a cookie.
Serving: 36g | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.7g | Protein: 2.4g | Fat: 10.9g | Saturated Fat: 6.7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 70.6mg | Potassium: 72.1mg | Fiber: 1.5g | Sugar: 11.2g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg