Cranberry Walnut Apple Slab Pie
Cranberry Walnut Apple Slab Pie is a favorite easy party dessert designed to feed apple pie to a crowd. Made using refrigerated pie crusts, fresh apples and dried cranberries, this Cranberry Walnut Apple Slab Pie is the ultimate deconstructed homemade apple pie perfect for holiday parties, family gatherings and any occasion you need lots of dessert to feed a crowd.
- 14 ounce box of refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 large Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- Juice of one lemon
Remove the pie crusts from the packaging and lightly dust work surface with flour or work on a large glass cutting board. Unroll the crusts and stack on top of each other. Roll the crust out into a large rectangle approximately 18 x 12 large. Gently fold the dough in half and then move to a large jelly roll pan (larger than your average baking pan) lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Carefully unfold the crust and gently lay out on the pan, pinching the edges as you go to make a crust. Move to the refrigerator to chill.
Mix the sugars, oats, walnuts, flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and cut together using a fork or the tips of your fingers until you have a crumbly mix. Move to the refrigerator to chill.
Mix together the sugar, brown sugar, flour, vanilla and seasonings together in a medium sized bowl, stir in the walnuts and cranberries and then set aside. Peel, core and thinly slice your apples and move to large mixing bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the apples and mix well. Pour the sugar mixture over the apples and toss to combine.
Remove the crust from the refrigerator and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour the apple filling into the crust and lightly spread out into an even layer. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Check your pie after 20 minutes and if your crust is starting to brown, tent lighly with foil so that your crust doesn't burn. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve topped with ice cream or whipped cream!
- Make sure to slice your apples are about the same thickness. You want to try for about 1/4 of an inch thick. If they are too thick, they won't cook all the way and if they are too thin, they will cook too much.
- The dried cranberries are perfectly tart and the walnuts add a nice crunch but feel free to leave them both out if you are just wanting a traditional apple pie instead.
- Grab a jelly roll pan online or at your local big box store to help make this apple pie recipe. If not, this can easy be made using two 9 x 13 pans.
Serving: 24g | Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 2.4g | Fat: 11.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 10.4mg | Sodium: 76.3mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 3.1g | Sugar: 22.7g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 0.8mg