Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Pecans
This easy Sweet Potato Casserole topped with both pecans and marshmallows is a traditional side dish at our Thanksgiving table. No need to miss out when these perfectly spiced sweet potatoes are topped with BOTH toasted mini marshmallows and a crunchy pecan streusel!
Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 40 ounce cans of canned sweet potatoes drained
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
Pecan Streusel and Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1-1/2 cup mini marshmallows
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
Drain your canned yams before adding them to a large bowl and lightly mash them until you reach your desired consistency or whip them together using an electric hand mixer if you prefer your sweet potato casserole to be super smooth.
Stir in the orange juice, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until well incorporated. Sneak a bite and see what you think as seasoning dishes is completely a personal preference. Transfer your potato filling to your casserole dish and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix up your quick streusel topping by combining flour, brown sugar, softened butter. Stir in the pecans and sprinkle your streusel in stripes on top of your sweet potato filling. Fill in between the streusel stripes with mini marshmallows.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until streusel is golden brown and marshmallows are toasty and just starting to melt. Serve immediately.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- Be sure to drain your canned sweet potatoes well before adding them to your mixing bowl.
- Canned sweet potatoes are canned in a sweet syrup. If you prefer your sweet potato casserole to be more savory, add only half of the brown sugar called for in the recipe and take a bite to see if your filling is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
- If you don't like like pecans, consider replacing them with walnuts or almonds.
- Don't care for marshmallows at all? Leave them off and simply top your sweet potato side dish with your pecan streusel.
- If you like your marshmallows a bit on the lighter side, consider baking your sweet potato casserole with just the steusel topping and add your marshmallows to the side dish at the end and bake as preferred using my tips above.
- This is a great make ahead side dish for the holidays. Assemble this casserole the day before and free up some much needed time on the big day!
Serving: 16g | Calories: 306.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 51.8g | Protein: 4.2g | Fat: 11.9g | Saturated Fat: 4.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4.9g | Cholesterol: 38.8mg | Sodium: 241.2mg | Potassium: 574.3mg | Fiber: 5.2g | Sugar: 20.4g | Vitamin A: 5.3IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 2.3mg | Iron: 3.9mg