This easy one pot meal made with chicken, shrimp, andouille sausage and rice makes the BEST jambalaya recipe! This classic southern recipe delivers bold, zesty, Creole jambalaya flavors that everyone will love.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 13 ounces andouille sausage
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced ribs, core and seeds removed
- 1/2 each red and orange pepper, diced ribs, core and seeds removed
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup long grain or short grain rice
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- green onions, fresh parsley for garnish
Start by heating 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, remove with a slotted spoon to a waiting plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
Season the chicken pieces with 1/3 of the Cajun seasoning. Add remaining oil to the pot and saute chicken until lightly browned. Remove with slotted spoon to the plate with the sausage, set aside.
Add the onion, bell peppers and celery to the oil in the pot and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, bay leaves, Cayenne powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the remaining Cajun seasoning. Stir in the chicken and sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Add in the rice and chicken stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium. Cover and let simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the shrimp to the Jambalaya mixture, stir through gently and cover with lid. Allow to simmer until the shrimp are cooked through and pink, about 5-6 minutes.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with sliced green onions, some parsley and serve immediately... preferably with a side of corn bread :)Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT JAMBALAYA
- Don't use minute rice for this recipe ... learned that the hard way!
- Customize this recipe based on your own preferences.. don't like shrimp? Leave it out .. can't find andouille sausage? Don't sweat it!
- Adjust the heat in this jambalaya recipe by adding more hot sauce, Cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper.
- Want to make this a slow cooker jambalaya recipe? Add all ingredients to a slow cooker except shrimp and rice. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours. Stir in shrimp and let cook for 30 minutes then serve over rice.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 347.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.5g | Protein: 41.3g | Fat: 9.8g | Saturated Fat: 3.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 213.3mg | Sodium: 2787.5mg | Potassium: 647.4mg | Fiber: 3.8g | Sugar: 5.5g | Vitamin A: 10.8IU | Vitamin C: 44.7mg | Calcium: 9.3mg | Iron: 24.6mg