Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole is the perfect easy side dish to serve up with any meal. Cheesy, creamy and tasting just like the real thing, this cheesy casserole made with refrigerated shredded hash browns, cheese, sour cream and condensed soup is pure comfort food!
- 20 ounces refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine shredded hash browns, sour cream, melted butter, chopped onion, condensed soup, spices and most of your shredded cheese.
Transfer hash brown mixture to your prepared pan and spread out into an even layer. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until top has lightly browned.
- Use refrigerated shredded hash browns instead of the big bag of frozen hash browns creates a smaller recipe. If you are using a 30 ounce bag of hash browns, make these changes:
- 30 ounces of frozen hash browns - thawed
- Pint of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- Entire can of condensed soup
- Same salt and amount of cheese
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Don't forget to spray your baking pan with nonstick spray. Your hash brown casserole will stick if you don't.
- Cream of chicken or cheddar soup can be used in this recipe. Want to make this a vegetarian side dish? Replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom.
- Substitute the reserved cheese with crushed corn flakes for a crunchy topping. You can also use Panko bread crumbs mixed with a bit of melted butter.
- Pre-shredded bags of cheese are convenient but can sometimes make your dish greasy. Choose a good quality bagged cheese if you aren't shredding it off the block yourself.