Witch Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes
Witch Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes are moist dark chocolate cupcakes, fluffy buttercream frosting and ghoulish sprinkles all served up in a cute witches cauldron. Easy, cute and ghoulishly delicious makes these the perfect Halloween cupcakes.
Servings: 18 Cupcakes
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Black gel food coloring or concentrated icing color
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3.5 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Neon green food coloring or concentrated icing color
- Assorted Halloween sprinkles
- 2.25 x 2.75 plastic black cauldrons
Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in the room temperature eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth.
Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, pour in the hot water and black food coloring and combine until mixed. Fill each cupcake 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes then remove from tins and cool completely on a baking rack.
To make the vanilla buttercream frosting, add butter, vanilla extrand and a pinch of salt to a large bowl and using a mixer, beat until fluffy. Mix in sifted powdered sugar slowly and in increments and then add in the milk and neon green food coloring until the desired consistancy is reached.
Frost your Witch Cauldron Halloween Cupcakes and add assorted sprinkles.
BAKING TIPS FOR WITCH CAULDRON HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES
- You want to make sure you are measuring your flour correctly. If you scoop out a measuring cup of flour directly from the bag, you will pack in way too much flour. To avoid this, spoon the flour into the measuring cup until its overfilled and then use the back of a butter knife to level the measuring cup at the top. Now you have the perfect flour measurement!
- Don’t overmix your chocolate cupcake batter. Once run your mixer long enough to incorporate the ingredients to avoid tough or dense cupcakes.
- Forgot to grab buttermilk? Make your own buy adding 4 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar to a measuring cup then add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes then use as needed.
- Use a small measuring cup or an ice cream scooper to add your batter to your cupcake tins. This way your cupcakes are all the same size and save on (most) ofthe mess.
- Sift your powdered sugar into your buttercream frosting mixture. No one likes lumpy frosting.
- Cool completely before frosting your cupcakes otherwise the frosting will melt away and it will be a mess and you will be sad.
- Don't have plastic cauldrons? No worries.. just use black cupcake wrappers instead for that witch cauldron feel.
Serving: 24g | Calories: 348.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 2.5g | Fat: 18.8g | Saturated Fat: 12.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 233.3mg | Potassium: 80.6mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 36.9g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 0.8mg