Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken is the easiest way to prepare southwest chicken! Chicken breasts and seasoned salsa verde sauce slow-cooked and simmered to perfection.. Perfect for tacos, tostadas, burritos or just served over rice!
- 3 large chicken breasts uncooked
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
Add chicken breasts into the slow cooker (4-7 quart) and pour in your favorite pre-made jar of salsa verde, green chilies, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on Low or 3 hours on High. Once cooked, move chicken (leave sauce in the slow cooker) to a cutting board and shred chicken with a fork.Return chicken to the crock-pot and let stew in the sauce another 15 minutes. Squeeze lime over chicken and toss with cilantro. Serve warm.
- Adding the green chilies gives this slow cooker salsa verde chicken a bit of a kick but not so much the entire family won't enjoy. Feel free to leave them out for a milder chicken dish.
- Grab your favorite bottle of salsa verde from the ethnic food aisle of your grocery store or make your own if you prefer. I usually find mine next to pre-made taco seasoning packets.
- Use fresh garlic for this recipe instead of garlic powder for a better taste.
- Looking to add some heat? Add in a couple of diced jalapeno or Anaheim peppers to your chicken while it simmers in your slow cooker.
Serving: 16g | Calories: 17kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 0.7g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.33g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.33g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.39g | Cholesterol: 0.52mg | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 0.7g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 0.1mg