Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
This Green Bean Casserole with Bacon is everyone's favorite holiday side dish! Made with NO condensed cream of mushroom soup, this classic casserole is packed with fresh green beans, crispy bacon, French fried onions and melted cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans trimmed and halved
- 6 pieces bacon cooked crispy, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 6 ounces fried onion crisps
To make Green Bean Casserole with Bacon, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper or add a metal cooling rack to it and lay your bacon out side by side to cook. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from the oven and when cool enough to handle, chop into bite sized pieces and set aside.
While your bacon is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the beans and blanche for 4 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring often so that the garlic does not burn. Add the flour and whisk together, cooking for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and half and half, whisking to combine then add in your spices. Continue whisking until it comes to a low boil and and then stir in the parmesan cheese. Remove from the heat and add in 1/3 of the fried onions, bacon pieces and green beans. Stir to combine and transfer to a buttered baking dish.
Top green beans with monterey jack cheese and the remaining fried onion crisps. Bake for 10-15 minutes, remove from the oven and serve while hot.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- If you don't wish to add the bacon, feel free not to. This green bean casserole recipe is delicious with or without the addition of bacon.
- This recipe calls for 6 slices of crispy cooked bacon. If you are running short on time or just want to free up your oven or stove top, consider using one of the pouches of pre-cooked bacon pieces usually found in the salad dressing aisle of your grocery store. They are super convenient and taste great without the mess and extra work of cooking up bacon.
- Monterrey Jack cheese is super mild so if you are looking for a bit more punch, get creative with your cheese choices. Swiss, cheddar, Havarti are all amazing substitutions.
- This Green Bean Casserole with Bacon is a great make ahead dish.. simply assemble the Green Bean Casserole and let cool completely. Cover dish tightly and refrigerate. The next day, bake for an extra 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Serving: 8g | Calories: 230.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.2g | Protein: 8.9g | Fat: 17.2g | Saturated Fat: 10.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.9g | Cholesterol: 45.5mg | Sodium: 547.4mg | Potassium: 202.2mg | Fiber: 2.1g | Sugar: 3.9g | Vitamin A: 695IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 0.8mg