Easy Chicken Enchiladas
This is the BEST chicken enchiladas recipe ever! Made with homemade enchilada sauce, green chilies and red onion, these easy enchiladas are packed with your favorite Mexican flavors, tender chunks of chicken and tons of melted cheese!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 4 ounce can of green chiles
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce .. if not using homemade, a 10 oz can from the grocery store is fine :)
- 8 large Mexican flour tortillas
- 15 ounce refried beans
- 16 ounces shredded cheese sharp cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack..
- diced onion, cilantro, sour cream for topping ... optional
Easy! Start by making your Homemade Enchilada Sauce. Once your enchilada sauce is done, preheat the oven to 350 degrees then add two tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the small chunks of chicken to the skillet and stirring often, cook until browned and no longer pink inside.
Add in the taco seasoning, spices, diced onion, 1/2 a cup of enchilada sauce and green chiles. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.
Next, line up your Easy Chicken Enchiladas ingredients and grab a large 9x13 baking pan. Add a small amount of enchilada sauce at the bottom of the pan and spread out evenly.
To assemble the Easy Chicken Enchiladas, lay out a tortilla and spread a line of beans down the middle of the tortilla along with a line of the chicken and some of the shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla and place in the baking pan. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and then top with enchilada sauce and the remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- I use flour tortillas but if you prefer to use corn, feel free.
- Always use good quality cheese and shred the cheese yourself to avoid lots of extra grease and cheese that doesn't melt properly. Bags of shredded cheese have a lot of extra ingredients to preserve and avoid clumping so shredding the cheese yourself is always ideal.
- If you don't have the time to make homemade enchilada sauce, don't worry .. store bought is perfectly fine and your Easy Chicken Enchiladas will be amazing.
- Top these enchiladas off anyway you like .. pile on the flavors by adding toppings like cilantro, lime, diced onion, sour cream, cotija crumbling cheese .. go for it!!
- Personally, I don't like my enchiladas drowning in red sauce (#itsawetbreadthing) but if you do, add extra sauce to make it your perfect pan of deliciousness.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 665.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.4g | Protein: 37.1g | Fat: 37.6g | Saturated Fat: 10.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.9g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 1236.6mg | Potassium: 403.1mg | Fiber: 5.9g | Sugar: 0.8g | Vitamin A: 1165IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 661mg | Iron: 4.3mg