Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
Learn how to make quick pickled red onions in just 5 minutes with just a few ingredients you probably already have on hand! Tangy, sweet and perfect for tacos, nachos, salads and more, these Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions are positively addictive!
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thin sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
In a small saucepan, combine apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, sugar and salt. Over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer and stir to make sure sugar and salt have dissolved.
Thin slice the red onion .. about 1/4 inch thick .. and then peel and smash your garlic cloves. Add red onions and crushed garlic cloves to a pint sized glass jar with a lid.
Pour the hot vinegar over the red onion, filling the jar. Cover and shake to combine. Move to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but will be better after a few hours.
- Thin slice your red onions, about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick depending on your preference. You can also use a mandoline for uniform slicing.
- Instead of using your stove, heat your vinegar mixture in the microwave until it reaches a simmer. About 2 minutes. Then add it to the onions, as directed.
- Adding the white vinegar kicks up the harshness of your pickled red onions. If you want to tame that back a bit, substitute the white vinegar with water.
- Use a big jar. I initially thought a large red onion would fit into an 8 out container. I was wrong. Plan accordingly.
- Do not drain your pickled red onions. Leave them and store them in the vinegar mixture.
- Sealed in their jar, pickled red onions will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.