Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice is an easy dinner recipe the whole family will love! Reminiscent of Cheddar Broccoli Rice-a-Roni, this quick and easy skillet dinner is ready in 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup instant rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli florets
To make this chicken and cheddar broccoli rice, start by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bite size pieces of chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add diced onion to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding garlic and cooking for another 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth and stir in seasonings. Bring to a boil and add rice. Cover, reduce heat to Low and let simmer 5 minutes.
While rice is cooking, steam broccoli florets. If you do not have a steamer, add your broccoli florets to a large strainer over a pot filled with 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and then cover, steaming broccoli for 2-3 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside.
Once your rice has finished cooking, remove cover and stir. Add in butter, milk, cheese and cooked chicken. Stir to combine and simmer for 1-2 minutes before stirring in broccoli.Serve immediately.
- If you family is not a fan of broccoli, substitute the broccoli with asparagus, spinach or cauliflower.
- The instant rice can be swapped out for long grain or brown rice. Long grain will need to cook for 15 minutes and brown rice will need a longer cook time and a bit more liquid.
- Want to save even more time with this chicken and rice recipe? Grab a cooked rotisserie chicken and save the step of cooking your chicken.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.