Homemade Enchilada Sauce
This is the BEST homemade enchilada sauce recipe! Rich, thick and quick to make, this spicy red enchilada sauce will blow the canned stuff right out of your pantry!
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3-1/2 tablepoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Add the oil to a small sauce pan over medium-high heat
Once hot, add flour and whisk together let cook 1 minute while continuing to stir
Pour in chicken stock, vinegar and tomato paste and whisk to combine
Add in all spices and whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated
Bring sauce to a low boil then reduce heat to low.. simmer for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally
Remove from heat and use in all of your favorite recipes!
- Don't let your flour burn. Be sure to whisk constantly until you add in your chicken stock.
- Better quality spices and stock will lend a better quality enchilada sauce. You don't need to break the bank but keep it in mind.
- Your homemade enchilada sauce will be thicker than what you get from a can. Don't worry.. it's supposed to be :)
Serving: 32g | Calories: 20.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.9g | Protein: 0.6g | Fat: 1.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 0.5mg | Sodium: 79.1mg | Potassium: 50.1mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 0.5g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 0.2mg