Cherry Habanero Grilled Flank Steak
This Cherry Habanero Grilled Flank Steak recipe is tender and melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Topped with an easy homemade habanero cherry BBQ sauce, this BBQ steak is full of flavor and one of my favorite summer grilling recipes.
Servings: 8 ea
Cherry Habanero BBQ Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 habanero diced
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 18 ounces cherry preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Start in a medium sized sauce pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat
Add diced habanero and saute for 2 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for another minute
Pour in ketchup, preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, orange juice and remaining spices
Bring to a low boil and then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Pour BBQ sauce through a small screen strainer to remove habanero and garlic pieces (or don't if they don't bother you) and then allow sauce to come to room temperature.
Rinse and pat dry flank steak. Using a basting brush, lightly coat with BBQ sauce.
Prepare your grill... Once hot and coals are ash colored, place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7-8 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness (medium rare is 135 degrees). Coat with BBQ sauce as you flip your steak. Move steak to a cutting board, coat with sauce again and cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Let your cherry BBQ sauce come to room temperature. This allows it to thicken up a bit before using on your BBQ steak.
- Get your grill HOT before adding your steak. Since flank steak is thin, it will cook quickly and you want that crispy sear on the outside.
- Let your steak rest for 5-10 minutes after removing it from the grill to allow juices to redistribute in the meat. This is vital to a juicy steak.
- Cut your steak against the grain and slice your steak into thin strips. This can be a tough cut of meat. Slicing your meat thin and against the grain ensures a tender bite.
- Leftover habanero cherry BBQ sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Serving: 8ea | Calories: 452.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 69.3g | Protein: 23.6g | Fat: 9.4g | Saturated Fat: 3.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 56.7mg | Sodium: 669.1mg | Potassium: 461.4mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 56.1g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 2.4mg