Ham and Cheese Savory Scones
Ham and Cheese Savory Scones are rich, tender scones made with tons of cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, tender ham and chopped chives. The perfect easy brunch idea any day of the week.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 stick frozen butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup ham diced
- 1/4 cup pre-cooked bacon pieces
- 2 tablespoons chives diced
To make these Ham and Cheese Savory Scones, start by adding the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic and onion powder to a large mixing bowl and whisking to combine.
Grab your cold stick of frozen butter and grate your butter on a cheese grater or cut into small pieces and them move your butter back to the freezer. While your butter is chilling, chop your ham into bite sized pieces and dice your chives. Remove the butter from the freezer and add to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a kitchen fork, work the butter into the flour mixture until you have no more large lumps of butter present.
Add in the buttermilk and sour cream and still to combine. Next add in the cheese, ham, bacon pieces and chives (save some of those yummy ingredients aside for topping!) and using a large spoon or spatula, stir to combine. Once mixed, transfer your scone dough to the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Once chilled, move your dough to a large floured work space or a large glass cutting board (my favorite!) Your dough should be a bit wet and sticky so flour your hands. Shape your dough into a large circle about 10-12 inches wide and about 1 inch thick.
Using a sharp knife, cut into 8-10 wedges and then using a spatcula or pie server, scoop up the scone wedges and transfer to a parchment lined baking pan and sprinkle with your reserved toppings. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 425 degree oven. When done, remove from oven and serve immediately.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT SAVORY SCONES
NEVER MISS A WICKED WHISK RECIPE
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / INSTAGRAM
- The secret to a perfect savory scone recipe is super cold butter. Frozen butter is what creates perfect scones that are flaky, a bit crumbly, and super tender.
- Avoid working the butter into your recipe with your hands. The natural heat from your hands will melt the butter and you want your butter to be super cold.
- I have tried different methods from dicing my butter with a sharp knife to running it through my food processor and the method I find works best is to grate the frozen butter quickly on a cheese grater and then pop the butter in the freezer while I chop up my remaining ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Don't skip chilling your scones for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator before baking. This will help them keep their shape and rise up perfectly.
- If you are looking to make these savory scones ahead of time, simply make this recipe and cut out your scones. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Pick up where you left off the following day.
- Forgot to grab buttermilk? Make your own buy adding 4 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar to a measuring cup then add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes then use as needed.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 363.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.1g | Protein: 12.5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.8g | Cholesterol: 60.1mg | Sodium: 840.6mg | Potassium: 172mg | Fiber: 1.3g | Sugar: 5.3g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 1.8mg