Potato Beer Cheese Soup
Potato Beer Cheese Soup is beer cheese soup made better with chunks of ham, bacon and potatoes. Hearty and the perfect bowl of comfort food, this creamy Potato Beer Cheese Soup is ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 4 large russet potatoes .. baked and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounce bottle ale such as Bass or Sam Adams
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt .. more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 16 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese reserve some for topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces pre-cooked cubed ham pieces reserve some for topping
- 6 - 8 green onions chopped .. reserve some for topping
- 3 ounce package pre-cooked bacon pieces or 6 bacon slices cooked crisp and crumbled reserve some for topping
To make Potato Beer Cheese Soup, start by washing and drying your russet potatoes and begin microwaving them for 5 minutes, turning them over and then microwaving them for another 5 minutes.
While your potatoes are cooking, add the butter, carrots, onion and celery to a large soup pot and heat over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften.Add in your flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to cook out that flour taste and then pour in your milk, broth and lager beer and bring the Potato Beer Cheese Soup to a low boil while whisking constantly.
Once the Potato Beer Cheese Soup is at a low boil, reduce your heat back down to medium and stir in your Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, spices and your cheddar cheese. When all of your cheese is melted, add in your bacon, ham, heavy cream and green onions and when everything is finally all combined, cut your cooked potatoes into bite sized chunks. Stir in your potatoes and let your Potato Beer Cheese Soup simmer for 10 minutes so everything incorporates with each other. Garnish with reserved toppings and serve immediately with good crusty bread! Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 456.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.8g | Protein: 19.9g | Fat: 30.1g | Saturated Fat: 16.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.2g | Cholesterol: 96.3mg | Sodium: 995.4mg | Potassium: 620.1mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 7.7g | Vitamin A: 3050IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 327mg | Iron: 1.3mg