Cheesy Taco Chicken Quesadillas
These Chicken Quesadillas made with leftover rotisserie chicken and a taco seasoning packet are my go-to, easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights and lazy weekends! Perfect easy dinner ideas are ones the entire family will eat and this taco chicken quesadilla recipe is everyone's favorite. Crispy edges, seasoned chicken and tons of melted cheese!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- sour cream, guacamole or homemade salsa for serving
Start by adding the shredded rotisserie chicken to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the taco seasoning to the chicken, along with 1/3 cup of water or chicken stock and chopped onions. Stir to combine and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until most of liquid is gone.
Next, heat oil or butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add a generous sprinkling of cheese to one of the tortillas and then add taco chicken on top, lightly moving the chicken around to create an even layer, completely covering the entire tortilla. Add another layer of cheese on top of the chicken layer, then add another tortilla on top.
Gently move your uncooked quesadilla to the skillet or griddle. Set a large plate or something heavy on top of your quesadilla as it cooks. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the plate and make sure your bottom tortilla is lightly browned and crispy. Using a spatula, quickly (gently!) flip your quesadilla, add the plate again and let continue to cook until that side is also lightly browned and crispy.
Once your edges are crispy and your cheese is melted, remove your quesadilla, cut into wedges and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Don't have rotisserie chicken on hand? Grab two chicken breasts and roast or boil them until cooked. Shred chicken and follow recipe instructions. You will need approximately 2 cups of chicken.
- Adding the plate or pot to the taco chicken quesadilla while it cooks helps smash the quesadilla down and helps it cook quickly and evenly.
- Chicken quesadillas are as basic or dressed up as you want to make them.
- These are perfect served up with a dollop of sour cream, guacamole or homemade salsa.
- Use a pizza cutter to make cutting your chicken quesadillas easy.
- I like to cook mine on a large griddle. This allows me to cook more than one quesadilla at a time.
- Looking to make smaller portions? Instead of using two tortillas, load up one and fold it in half before cooking it.