Cajun 15 Bean Soup (Slow Cooker/Crock Pot)
Hot and hearty with a kick of spice, this Cajun 15 Bean Soup is the perfect homemade bean soup recipe to keep the chill away. Easy to make, simply add beans, ham, sausage and fresh vegetables to your crock pot and let it do the work for you.
- 1 bag Cajun 15 Bean Soup - dry beans with seasoning packet
- 1-2 ham hocks or 1 ham bone
- 12 ounces andoullie or smoked sausage sliced into medallions
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- juice from 1 lemon
Add beans to a large colander and rinse beans under water. Shake, inspect and discard any debris.
Move beans, ham hocks, onion, garlic, seasoning packet, spices (don't add salt yet) and chicken stock to a slow cooker and cook on High for 6-7 hours. After 6-7 hours, remove the ham hock or ham bone.. pick apart meat and add back into slow cooker.
Stir in tomatoes and salt and cook for another 30 minutes before finishing with squeeze of lemon juice. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- This Cajun 15 Bean Soup recipe is thick and hearty. For a thinner soup, add more chicken stock.
- Do not add the tomatoes or lemon juice until the very end. Adding anything acidic to your beans before then will toughen them up.
- Go wild with the meat. Smoked sausage, a leftover hambone, smoked ham hocks, chopped ham steak..
- Serve over rice and with a slab of cornbread.. trust me!
- Add some veggies to this soup if you like.. diced carrots, green pepper and celery are the perfect compliment.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 544.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.8g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 33.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.3g | Cholesterol: 7.8mg | Potassium: 371.2mg | Fiber: 6.6g | Sugar: 2.3g | Vitamin A: 245IU | Vitamin C: 2.9mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.6mg