Tender Jerk Pulled Pork paired with Sweet Corn Cakes is the perfect combination of sweetness and spicy heat that definitely makes this the perfect meal.
Somehow THIS Queen of Halloween convinced Big Scary Mike to take a trip with her to the Caribbean.
Sunshine. Umbrella drinks. Crystal blue waters. Jerk Pulled Pork!
I have no idea how I did it and to be honest, I will probably never be able to achieve such an accomplishment ever again but we had the best time and neither one of us melted or exploded due to sun exposure. I will make mention that Mike was the only guy dressed all in black and I had a heck of a time packing when 99% of my clothes are also varying degrees of black … except mine have sequins, of course. All that being said, although slightly out of place, we couldnt have had more fun if we tried.
Blah.. Blah.. Blah… now on to the good stuff!! The FOOD!!!
Our first stop was Jamaica and you have to know there was no way I was leaving without tyring some authentic jerk seasoned food. Can I tell you….. AM-AZZZZZ-INNNNGGGG!!!!!! I got the jerked pork with beans and rice and Mike tried the smothered oxtail. You could not ask for better food. Spicy, tender… perfection on a plate!
I mean seriously…. Look at that food!! Ok.. you should probably stop licking your computer screen.. that will leave a mark… but LOOK AT THAT FOOD!!!
Now go back home and recreate THAT, Irish girl!!
Well, I can’t say this is 100% authentic but I can promise you that this recipe for Jerk Pulled Pork is delicious!! You can make this as mellow or as spicy as you like but if you are a fan of the heat, this is your dish for sure. Pair this with some Sweet Corn Cakes by Todd Wilbur and the combination of the sweetness and the spicy heat definitely make this the perfect meal.
Now go make yourself a foo-foo umbrella drink and get in the groove!! Dinner tonight is going to be out of this world!
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think… or just say Hi! I love hearing from you!!
Like what you see? Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest … and yup, even Instagram!
PS.. These amazing pictures were taken by Big Scary Mike.. his first time … who knew he could take pictures???
Jerk Pulled Pork with Sweet Corn Cakes
- Jerk Pulled Pork
- 3 lb pork butt , boneless
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp Caribbean Jerk Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Jerk marinade or sauce (optional) or 3 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Sweet Corn Cakes - makes 4-5 cakes -double recipe if needed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Combine all of the spices for the pulled pork in a small bowl
- Using your hands, rub pork butt with olive oil or half of the Jerk marinade/sauce if using
- Using your hands, rub the seasoning all over the pork butt and place in your slow cooker
- Pour in the chicken broth and top butt with another sprinkle of Jerk marinade/sauce if using
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours or until meat easily shreds
- Remove from slow cooker and drain away 3/4 of the cooking liquid
- Shred meat (add salt if needed) and return to slow cooker, sprinkling again with the remaining Jerk marinade and let simmer another 20 minutes
- Remove and serve immediately
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Pour 1 cup of the frozen corn in a food processor and pulse until it's coarsely pureed.
- Combine the pureed corn with the softened butter, sugar, and salt and blend
- Add corn meal and flour and combine
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels by hand
- Measure 1/2 cup portions of the mixture and form it into 3" wide patties with your hands.
- Arrange the patties on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cakes are browned on the bottom.
- Carefully flip all cakes with a spatula and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until other side is browned.