Last Updated on by
This Ham and Broccoli Casserole is amazing, easy and delicious! Hearty chunks of ham, broccoli florets and pasta in a creamy cheese sauce – Perfect!
Everyone needs an amazing, easy meal that is quick to put together and can satisfy an entire household all with one 13 x 9 baking pan. Ham and Broccoli Casserole is THAT dish. Who could say not to hearty chunks of ham and gentle broccoli florets mixed with curly pasta and a creamy cheese sauce? Exactly!
This is the dinner my husband has been asking me to make for … um … years. Every time I made an excuse or there was another recipe I wanted to try, always something more exotic/spicy/different/newer … I never had time for anything so ‘regular’ as throwing together a recipe for Ham and Broccoli Casserole.
I have a ton of left over ham in my refrigerator and it either needs to be frozen or used up. Big Scary Mike finally got his wish.. Ham and Broccoli Casserole, it is. Now another one of his favorite dinners is my Three Cheese Chicken Alfredo Casserole and I figured that would be an amazing start to this new dinner idea of his. I thought about leaving in the chicken but thought that might be a bit much and let’s be honest … I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer the night before so that helped sway that decision tree a bit. What can I say .. things happen for a reason. Leaving the chicken out was probably a good idea because this casserole is so jammed with ham and broccoli and super rich because of the cheese sauce that it’s pretty jam up and jelly tight the way it is.
Feel free to Google that expression… I didn’t make that one up 🙂
So what was the outcome? Let’s just say that there weren’t many leftovers and he went back for seconds. My husband going back for seconds is like a 1st Place Blue Ribbon in my house and considering he about killed that whole 13 x 9 all by himself … well … I would say the Ham and Broccoli Casserole came out just fine.
PS .. Sidenote .. you can totally lighten this recipe up by using low fat cheese and even low fat Alfredo sauce and ricotta and it would be phenomenal. The only reason I did not do it that way is because I had most of the items already on hand and they were full strength .. don’t judge, this house can’t Fat Free on a national holiday! Lol
Psst… Now that we are friends, don’t you think we should spend some more time together? That’s what besties do, right? Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest .. and yup, even Instagram!
Ham and Broccoli Casserole
- 8 oz pre-cooked ham , diced or cubed
- 2 cups of raw broccoli florets (about 2/3 of a head of uncooked broccoli)
- 1 16 oz box Rotini Pasta
- 2 10 oz containers of refrigerated Alfredo sauce (I use Bertolli)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- 4 tbl fresh chives , diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups Mozzarella cheese , fresh shredded
- Boil Rotini pasta in a large pot of salted water, according to the box directions.
- Drain water, return pasta to pot and then set aside.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese into a large bowl.
- Stir everything together.
- Add your pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top is just starting to brown.