Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli soup is a rich, hearty soup packed full of flavor and the perfect way to use that leftover hambone from your holiday dinner.
If I had to pick just one soup to be my favorite, Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli has to be IT!! I love Beer Cheese Baked Potato Soup and Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup but my ‘Go-To’ soup is always Pasta Fagioli. Why? Let me tell you why .. Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli freezes beautifully, it’s super rich in flavor and it is such a hearty comfort food soup that it’s perfect to come home to after a long day. Plus it’s also a great healthy lunch option to keep those sugar cravings at bay as you move through your day but keep in mind that everyone in your breakroom will #1 – Hate You and #2 – want the recipe to whatever it is that you are heating up in the microwave. Plan accordingly.
LEFTOVER HAMBONE SOUP?
This right here is what takes a great soup to an AWESOME soup. Wondering what to do with that hambone from you holiday day dinner? Well, now you have your answer.. this Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli soup. By adding that leftover hambone to this soup, you are bringing so much flavor that you couldn’t replicate any other way. Now you are infusing this Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli soup with a rich hearty flavor and all of the ham still on the bone is going to fall off into the soup and make it extrordinary. #mostfavoritesoupever
WHAT IS PASTA E FAGIOLI?
Basically pasta e fagioli soup is a savory soup made of minced garlic, onion, celery and carrots in a stewed tomato broth served up with pasta like macaroni or ditalini. Often compared to minestrone soup, pasta e fagioli is a simple soup of a few vegetables and spices to make a hearty comforting bowl of happiness. Adding the leftover hambone to this Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli probably breaks a few rules but honestly, it’s too delicious to argue.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SLOW COOKER PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP?
Easy!! To make Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli, you really are just adding everything to your slow cooker and letting your crockpot do the work. Add the minced garlic, diced onion, celery and carrots to your slow cooker. Stir in the beef broth and spaghetti sauce along with your spices, herbs and beans. Add in the leftover hambone and submerge as much as possible. Cover and cook on High for the first hour then drop to Low for the next 6 – 7 hours. Before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook ditalini following manufacturers instructions on the box. Drain pasta and serve up with your Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli soup.
PRO TIPS FOR SLOW COOKER PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP
- Choose your beans .. if you are a die hard kidney bean fan, go with that. Some people love cannalini beans, some love chili beans. I love the extra bit of texture garbanzo beans bring to the party so I add them to my Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli.
- Cook you pasta separate. If you add your pasta directly into your slow cooker to cook, the next day you will find your pasta has soaked up a huge amount of your broth. Plus the pasta tends to get mushy. I cook my pasta separate and then transfer to a large zip top bag and keep in the refrigerator. That way I can add it to my Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli as needed and it won’t get mushy.
- If you don’t have a leftover hambone or simply do not want to include it into this recipe, no worries. This Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli is a hearty, delicious soup with our without the leftover hambone. Simply leave the hambone out and follow the recipe as written.
- This soup freezes beautifully. Simply let your Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli cool completely then move it to a large zip top bag. Freeze flat until completely frozen and can be frozen up to 3 – 4 months. To use, remove from freezer and let defrost one day in the refrigerator before moving to soup pot. Reheat over medium heat.
Looking for more easy soup recipes to share with your family and friends? Check a few of my favorite soup recipes below.
MORE EASY SOUP, STEW AND CHILI RECIPES
- Easy Homemade Chili
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chorizo Chili
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Guinness Irish Stew
SHOP THIS RECIPE
IF YOU’VE MADE THIS, PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!
- 1 large leftover hambone
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 - 3 carrots diced
- 2 - 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- 32 ounce beef stock
- 28 ounce spaghetti sauce
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 - 2 sprigs fresh rosemary minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces ditalini pasta
To make Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli, you really are just adding everything to your slow cooker and letting your crockpot do the work. Add the minced garlic, diced onion, celery and carrots to your slow cooker. Stir in the beef broth and spaghetti sauce along with your spices, herbs and beans. Add in the leftover hambone and submerge as much as possible. Cover and cook on High for the first hour then drop to Low for the next 6 - 7 hours. Before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook ditalini following manufacturers instructions on the box. Drain pasta and serve up with your Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli soup.