Last Updated on by
Easy Tortilla Soup is the perfect bowl of spicy comfort food to serve up to your family and friends. Bursting with tender chicken, corn, beans and all of your favorite Mexican flavors, this Easy Tortilla Soup is the ultimate ONE POT 30 minute meal.
Can we talk a minute about soup? I don’t mean let’s discuss some boring ol’ can of processed soup. I mean, can we TALK about a savory, spicy, hearty soup made in just one pot and in just 30 minutes? I’m talking about this easy soup recipe for the ultimate Easy Tortilla Soup!
This Easy Tortilla Soup is going to blow your mind. You have all the best Mexican flavors it’s just all in soup form and the best part is that is it ready to serve up in just under 30 minutes and you only have to dirty ONE POT!!! Just ONE POT!!!! The soup recipe is easy and turns out perfect every time I make it. There is always just barely enough to serve as leftovers the second day, that’s how much of this Easy Tortilla Soup gets eaten on it’s first pass. This Easy Tortilla Soup is spicy and filling and so easy to customize to your taste. Like avocados? Add them in. Don’t like corn? Go ahead and leave that out. You want to top your soup with sour cream or tortilla strips or cheese? Whatever twirls your skirt up, go for it!
IS EASY TORTILLA SOUP SPICY?
Easy Tortilla Soup is made with jalapenos and cayenne pepper to give the soup a bit of heat and depth. If you are not a fan of spicy food, feel free to reduce the amount of the ingredients called for or leave them out all together. As is, the recipe is written to produce a very mild heat.
CAN YOU FREEZE EASY TORTILLA SOUP?
Yes! Easy Tortilla Soup freezes beautifully. To freeze, allow the Easy Tortilla Soup to cool completely, then store your soup in a large freezer bag or airtight plastic container and then move it to your freezer for up to 4 months. Leave out the tortilla chips you would have used as a garnish as they will get soggy in the soup and will not reheat well.
HOW DO YOU MAKE EASY TORTILLA SOUP?
Easy! To make Easy Tortilla Soup, In a large soup pot, melt butter and heat over medium-high heat and add in the onion and jalapenos (ribs and seeds removed) and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the garlic and stir for another minute and then add in the chicken broth, bouillon cubes, chili black beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, shredded chicken, lime juice, and all spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let soup simmer at a low boil for 20 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the cilantro and serve with your favorite garnishes
Talk about the perfect one pot 30 minute meal!!!
So the next time you are wondering what to make for dinner that will be easy, fast and packed with amazing flavor, give this recipe for Easy Tortilla Soup a try!
Looking for more soup ideas? Check out my Pasta e Fagioli, Springtime Vegetable Soup, and my Beer Cheese Baked Potato Soup…and let’s not forget my Easy Quick and Amazing Chicken and Dumplings, which may not be a soup but Oh My… is it good!!!!!
Have you made this recipe yet? Your feedback, ratings and comments mean the world to me and help ME write recipes better recipes for YOU!
Easy Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced with ribs and seeds removed
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 30 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz chili flavored black beans *use regular black beans if unable to find chili flavored
- 15 oz whole corn kernals
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Queso Fresco cheese.. sour cream.. tortilla chips.. avocado.. for garnishing
- In a large soup pot, melt 2 butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and jalapenos (ribs and seeds removed), and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute
- Add in the chicken broth, bouillon cubes, chili black beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, shredded chicken, lime juice, and all spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let soup simmer at a low boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve with your favorite garnishes