Cheese Tortellini with Ham is the ideal quick one pot meal to share any time.. best part is that it is ready in under 30 minutes. Tender cheese tortellini and chunks of ham in a creamy cheese sauce is the perfect comfort food.
There is something to be said when you have The Recipe in your magic book of tricks. You know the one, the recipe that everyone loves, the one that no one can get enough of and best of all it falls under the heading of ’30 Minute One Pot Quick Meal’. Yup… now we are on the same page!
Wait!! .. It’s a 30 minute meal? Check! And it’s a One Pot Meal? Check.. Check.. With copious amounts of cheese and flavor? Check.. Check and Check!!!
And what is the latest recipe to join the ranks? That’s right .. creamy, cheesy, Cheese Tortellini with Ham. This recipe is 100% comfort food and by that I mean you may need to renew your gym membership after eating this but hey .. that’s what cheat days are for, right?
Start by adding butter and diced onions to your skillet. Brown for 2-3 minutes until the onions are slightly cooked.
Dice up the ham steak into big chunks.
Add to the onions in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
Then pour in the chicken stock and spices and the tortellini and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on how firm you like your tortellini. Remove from the heat once cooked and add in the cream, sour cream, cheese and Parmesan cheese and stir well to combine. Sprinkle with green onions and you are ready to serve.
- Lightly salt the dish during cooking but reserve judgement until the end. Ham will add to the saltiness of the dish and you don’t want to over salt
- Lemon is a great equalizer – Be sure to add in a squeeze of lemon to cut through the richness of all that cream
- Check for tortellini doneness at around 9 minutes .. especially if you really like yours firm
- If ham is not your jam, substitute with any meat of your choice.. Italian sausage or kielbasa would be great in this dish
Enjoy! – Heather
If you like food as much as I do, obviously we should be best friends now! Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest … and yup, even Instagram to never miss a new recipe and so we can keep in touch! And if you haven’t subscribed for A Wicked Whisk weekly newsletters yet … why not?? Subscribe today!!
**Have you made this recipe yet? If you have tried this recipe, please take the time and leave me a Comment / Rating and let me know how you liked it ????
Your feedback and comments mean the world to me and help ME write recipes better recipes for YOU!**
Cheese Tortellini with Ham
- 2 tbl butter
- 1/2 large onion , diced
- 1 1/2 cup (12 oz) of ham, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 - 19 oz bags frozen tortellini
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 2 tbl sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz shredded Italian cheese mix
- 1/8 cup chives or green onions , diced
- 1 large squeeze of lemon
- Start by melting butter over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add in the onion and saute until softened
- Add in ham cubes and saute until lightly browned
- Add in garlic and saute for 1 minute or until fragrant
- Stir in chicken stock and increase heat to medium high.
- Add in both bags of frozen tortellini and bring back to a boil. Cover and let simmer 10-12 minutes or until past is al dente
- Turn off heat and pour in cream, sour cream, spices, Parmesan cheese and shredded cheese.
- Stir to combine and add squeeze of lemon. Stir in chives or green onions right before serving
- Serve immediately