Green Soft Sugar Cookies are the easiest soft baked sugar cookies you will ever make. Soft, chewy and delicious.. this will be your new favorite recipes for soft sugar cookies.
Green Soft Sugar Cookies are the absolute perfect soft baked sugar cookie to made anytime you want to add a little green color into your day or maybe even a special holiday like St. Patrick’s Day, Christmas or even Easter. These sugar cookies are so easy to make and come out perfect every time. Chewy, soft and the best Go To recipe if you are in the mood for sugar cookies.
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO HOMEMADE SOFT SUGAR COOKIES
The secret to making the perfect homemade is refrigerating the dough. When I first did my recipe for sugar cookies, I didn’t refrigerate my dough and I couldn’t figure out why my soft sugar cookies flattened out and wouldn’t hold their shape. After a bit of research, I remade my homemade sugar cookies but refrigerated the dough first and WOW .. what a difference. Always remember to refrigerate your soft sugar cookie dough and you will be rewarded with perfect soft sugar cookies every time.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GREEN SOFT SUGAR COOKIES
These Green Soft Sugar Cookies are super easy to make and take no time at all to bring together. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Cream together your sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl and then add in egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Then in a separate bowl, combine your flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into your sugar batter. Mix in your green food coloring and refrigerate your dough for 20 minutes. Once chilled, add sugar to a small bowl.
Spoon out enough dough to make a 1 1/2 inch ball and once formed, roll though the sugar.
Place on your baking sheet and once sheet is filled, bake for 12 – 13 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.
Green Soft Sugar Cookies are chewy, soft and have just a bit of crunch from the sugar coating. You can also customize these soft sugar cookies for any occasion you may need … just replace the green food coloring with whatever color you prefer or omit the food coloring altogether for perfect ‘plain’ homemade soft sugar cookies. You really can’t go wrong any way you go!
I mean really … what’s better than soft baked sugar cookies??? (Answer: Nothing!)
- Always take the time to refrigerate the soft sugar cookie dough. If you skip this step, the sugar cookies will flatten a bit and not keep their shape as well
- When using food coloring, always go a bit darker than you actually want. The color will lighten a bit as the soft sugar cookies will bake
- If you don’t want to roll the cookies in the loose sugar before baking, you don’t have to. My hubby is not a fan of the extra sugar (what the what??) so I do have the batch of soft sugar cookies with the sugar rolling and half without. If you opt not to roll the sugar cookies in the extra sugar, the cookies will still come out amazing!
- If you don’t already have a ‘jelly roll’ pan, consider investing in one. They are not too expensive (I think mine were $14.99 each) and since they are larger than the standard baking sheet, you can bake twice the amount of cookies in the same amount of time. Serious game changer come holiday season!!!
ENJOY!! – HEATHER
If you like food as much as I do, obviously we should be best friends now! Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest … and yup, even Instagram to never miss a new recipe and so we can keep in touch! And if you haven’t subscribed for A Wicked Whisk weekly newsletters yet … why not?? Subscribe today!!
**Have you made this recipe yet? If you have tried this recipe, please take the time and leave me a Comment / Rating and let me know how you liked it ????
Your feedback and comments mean the world to me and help ME write recipes better recipes for YOU!**
- 1 1/4 cup sugar + 1/2 cup for rolling
- 1 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz bag of white chocolate morsels
- Green Gel Food Coloring
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
Start by creaming together the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl
Add in the egg yolks one at a time and beat into the mixture before adding the next one
Mix in the vanilla and salt
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and then slowly incorporate into your sugar batter .. this takes time, it will seem very dry at first but will come together nicely
Add in the Green Gel Food Coloring and stir to combine
Stir in the while chocolate morsels until all have been mixed into the batter
Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.
Pour remaining 1/2 cup sugar into a separate bowl and roll your sugar cookies in the sugar to coat
Spoon into 1.5 inch balls and place them on your cookie sheet - do no flatten!
Bake for 12 - 13 minutes and remove.. let sit on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before moving the cookies to a wire rack
Let cool and enjoy!!