Halloween Pumpkin Cake is the moistest and most delicious cake you will make this season! Perfect dessert to satisfy your pumpkin craving this time of year.
It’s always a good thing to have a Go To secret weapon pumpkin cake in your back pocket this time of year and this recipe is just that for you! This Halloween Pumpkin Cake is probably my favorite cake I’ve ever baked. This recipe was super easy to pull together and this Halloween Pumpkin Cake is the moistest pumpkin cake I have ever eaten.
And this girl has eaten some pumpkin cake!
I wrote this recipe for Halloween, obviously, but this Halloween Pumpkin Cake is not limited to just serve at Halloween time or for kids Halloween parties. The chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect and even though I added black food coloring to make the frosting black, you certainly can omit that from your recipe if desired. Black frosting is always a hit at children’s parties because the frosting will turn your teeth temporarily black and we all know children love anything like that. If you are serving this cake at a adult social gathering, it would probably be best to leave the black food coloring out of the frosting. Haha!
As I’ve mentioned in my Halloween Monster Eye Cookies and my Monster Mash Halloween Candy Bark, Halloween truly is my favorite holiday and what better way to celebrate that than with fun, delicious food to complement the holiday. This Halloween Pumpkin Cake is the perfect dessert to satisfy your pumpkin craving this time of year and we all know that we are in the middle of the ‘Pumpkin Everything’ time of year. Surprise your family and friends by treating them to this amazing cake and I will leave it up to you if you want to have a little fun with the black frosting 🙂
Halloween Pumpkin Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tbl vanilla extract
- 1 tbl pumpkin pie spice
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbl coffee or 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- black food coloring paste optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside while you prepare the wet ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add in vanilla, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vegetable oil. Slowly stir in the milk and the flour mixture until all has been incorporated
- Divide batter evenly into your prepared cake pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan and moving to cooling rack
- Let cake cool completely. When cooled, gently trim the top of the cakes to make your cake even on top (my cakes always 'round up'. Then gently slice each cake in half horizontally so that you have four layers.
- To make your frosting, cream together softened butter and sifted dark cocoa powder until well-combined.
- Add sifted powdered sugar, vanilla extract, coffee (or espresso powder) and milk to cocoa mixture and mix slowly until all has been incorporated ... once mixed well, mix on high for 1 minute. Add in black food coloring at this point, if you are adding it, and mix until your frosting is black
- Assemble the 4 cake layers with a layer of frosting in between each layer. Generously frost the sides and top and add decorative sprinkles, if desired. Store cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve