This Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe is easy to make, quick to pull together and the perfect coleslaw recipe to make in advance. Packed with flavor, made using green and purple cabbages and mixed with a tangy sour cream dressing, this Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe is a family favorite every time!
As a girl that lives in the 395 degree heat index known as summertime in Florida, the one saving grace of surviving the hot weather is pool party food. Yes, all of the summer salads, the potato salads, the fruit salads, the tangy coleslaw … basically any food item served cold and from a large glass bowl. You think I’m joking? Trust me, when it’s so hot the pool water is the temperature of bath water and the ice in your drink melts before you even make it half way across the yard, those cold summer salads make walking outside worth it and the one must-have at every summer get together has to be this Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe.
Why this Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe? Because who can have a party without coleslaw? Family get together? Someone is showing coleslaw from the deli section of the supermarket. Big summertime barbeque? Coleslaw is a legal requirement for throwing such a shindig. Burgers and hot dogs around the pool? It’s guarenteed that there will be potato salad, macaroni salad and at least one variety of coleslaw on that side dish table. So why not make the Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe to serve up this summer and treat your family and friends to what homemade coleslaw is supposed to taste like and not just grab a plastic container from the grocery store?
When it comes to making homemade coleslaw, there are two lines of thought of how coleslaw should taste. One side loves creamy coleslaw and the other side likes their coleslaw to be more vinegar based. The reason why this particular easy coleslaw mix is the very Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe is because you get a bit of both in this dressing so this is the coleslaw that everybody loves.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO EAT COLESLAW
- Coleslaw has so many possibilities, it is crazy to say you can only eat homemade coleslaw as a side dish.
- Coleslaw is the perfect cold summer side dish
- Homemade coleslaw is the perfect topper to hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches and fish tacos
- Like corned beef? This Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe is the perfect addition to every corned beef sandwich you serve
- Have leftover macaroni salad from your BBQ? Combine the two together and you can thank me later …
- Cook up some ramen noodles, add in a mound of coleslaw and toss with some sauteed garlic shrimp
- Top any BBQ pork sandwich, tostada or egg roll with this coleslaw recipe. You will wonder why you hadn’t been doing this for years…
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE COLESLAW
- I use both green and purple cabbage in this easy coleslaw recipe but feel free to customize is as you like. Not a fan of one or the other, leave it out and just use one variety.
- Some people like a lot of dressing on their coleslaw and others don’t.. start by adding 1/2 of the dressing to the coleslaw and add more if you choose to depending on your preference.
- I use pre-shredded carrots from the grocery store but if you are unable to find them, simply shredd your carrots by hand using a cheese grater or running them through a food processor with a grate wheel.
- I wanted so bad to add sunflower seeds to this recipe but I know my husband would have killed me 🙂 Get as creative as you want with this coleslaw recipe.. add in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, caraway seeds, uncooked ramen noodles … experimenting is a good thing!
- If you would like your coleslaw creamier, add in more dressing but if not, save the remaining dressing to use on sandwiches, tacos or grilled veggies.
- Prefer to use a coleslaw mix from the grocery store? No worries, simply substitute the cabbage and carrots in the recipe for the bagged mix. Keep in mind, you may need more than one bag to match the amounts in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW IN ADVANCE
To make this homemade coleslaw recipe in advance, simply slice your cabbage and carrots and keep them in a sealed zip top bag. Make the dressing ahead of time and simply combine everything when you are ready to serve. I wouldn’t suggest slicing your cabbage more than a day in advance of when you need it but it’s defininetly convenient to party prep this dish the day before.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE COLESLAW RECIPE?
Easy! To make the Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe, start by removing the other leaves of the cabbage, then cutting the cabbage in quarters. Remove the core and then slice your cabbage in thin slices before moving to a large mixing bowl and add in the grated carrots, parsley and green onions. Next, make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, spices and a squeeze of lemon together in a separate bowl. When you are ready to serve your coleslaw mix half of the dressing into the sliced cabbage and carrot mixture and add more to your preference. Mix well and serve immediately. Leftovers (if you even have any!) can be kept covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Looking for more easy summer side dishes? Check out a few of my favorites below..
- Loaded Potato Salad – tender, creamy red potaotes fully loaded with tons of cheese, bacon and green onions..
- Southern Chicken Salad – takes your favorite classic chicken salad recipe and kicks it up a notch with hard boiled eggs, shredded chicken, sour cream and sweet pickle relish.
- Easy Bean Salad – made with pinto beans, garbanzo beans, fresh vegetables and lime juice, this is the ultimate in quick, easy, delicious side dishes.
- Italian Pasta Salad with Pepperoni – the perfect cold pasta salad to bring to any BBQ, potluck or summer backyard party.
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad – creamy, tangy with a bit of pine nut crunch, this will be your favorite cold pasta salad to share with family and friends.
BEST HOMEMADE COLESLAW RECIPE
Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 large cabbage, sliced .. or half green, half purple
- 1-1/2 cup pre-shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley or 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or celery salt .. to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- squeeze of lemon
- To make the Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe, start by removing the other leaves of the cabbage, then cutting the cabbage in quarters. Remove the core and then slice your cabbage in thin slices before moving to a large mixing bowl and add in the grated carrots, parsley and green onions.
- Next, make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, spices and a squeeze of lemon together in a separate bowl. When you are ready to serve your coleslaw mix half of the dressing into the sliced cabbage and carrot mixture and add more to your preference. Mix well and serve immediately. Leftovers (if you even have any!) can be kept covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.