Last Updated on by
Ham and Cheese Potato Pancakes are the perfect fast, easy, delicious meal to satisfy every one of your comfort food cravings!!
Ham and Cheese Potato Pancakes … don’t those just sound easy?? .. and delicious? .. and happy?
Are you like me and have those nights when you just don’t want to figure out what to make for dinner? Not the “chicken or fish” night…. I mean the night when putting together a successful bowl of cereal would be a challenge.
Yup… THAT night!!!
Well, I found the perfect Go To for those nights when you have been running around all day and you are tired and the clothes washer broke (on Full and with clothes in it) and the dog ate your favorite shoes and the kids … hey, where ARE the kids? …
These are not pretty and they are not fancy but oh my goodness… they are good!!! I confess that I am a fan of the pretty food. These Ham and Cheese Potato Pancakes are not it. But they are fast to bring together … 5 minutes kinds of fast!! … and they are comforting after a long
crappy day. I found the original recipe on the Simply Potato website and added my own extra ingredients.
Now, my only recommendations are to double the recipe if you are serving more than 2-3 people. This recipe only makes about 12 pancakes and they are not huge. Also, when you are flipping these on the griddle or in your pan.. COMMIT TO THE PROCESS! There can be no timid oochy schoochy with the spatula under the pancake .. go big or stay home! I found if i gingerly tried to flip these, they fell apart more… and they WILL fall apart.. that ham doesn’t want to stay in there for anything. But don’t worry, when it falls apart on a flip, coax it back together and when the second side is cooked, flip one extra time. These are a little belligerent but very forgiving .. and very worth it!!!
Psst… Now that we are friends, don’t you think we should spend some more time together? That’s what besties do, right? Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest .. and yup, even Instagram!
- 1 20 oz package Simply Potato Shredded Hash Browns
- 1/3 cup onion , diced
- 3 tbl chives , diced
- 2 tbl all purpose flour
- 4 oz pre-cooked ham , diced
- 4 oz cheddar cheese , shredded or diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 tbl vegetable oil
- Applesauce and / or sour cream optional
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except the vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or on a nonstick griddle to medium-high heat
- Spoon 4 - 6 1/4 cup of potato mixture onto heating surface and flatten slightly
- Let cook 2- 3 minutes and then carefully flip pancake so that other side can cook
- If pancake ingredients fall away, incorporate them again into the pancake using your spatula
- Flip a third time if necessary
- Once pancakes are golden brown, remove to a paper towel lined plate until all pancakes are cooked
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream if desired