Last Updated on by
These soft and sticky Pecan Rolls are buttery ooey-gooey sweet flaky breakfast treats that will be sure to become your new favorite way to start the day.
It’s a miracle! For a girl who has been dough challenged her entire life, it is truly a miracle that I am finally able to make homemade Pecan Rolls! When I say dough challenged, I’m really not exaggerating on that. Talk about an endless string of failed attempts. But now, after much failure I can say that my Pecan Rolls dough making skills are at least of an average threshold. And so when I say homemade Pecan Rolls are possible, you better believe they are possible for you to!
HOW DO I MAKE PECAN ROLLS?
These buttery ooey gooey cinnamon rolls of happiness are super easy to make and worth the time invested in them. Start by mixing together your warm milk and yeast. Once that starts foaming and bubbling around you know you are ready to rock and roll! Add in your sugar, butter, vanilla, eggs and salt and once you have that all combined slowly start shifting in your flour.
Now I am probably the only food bloggers and existence that does not own one of those fancy-schmancy pretty KitchenAid stand up mixers so here I am busting out my fancy my $6 handheld electric mixer and getting it DONE! I usually mix everything together until it is just incorporated and then I will dump that out onto a cutting board or my counter top and then using my hands ball the Pecan Roll dough together and kneed it for a few minutes to really get that gluten going.
This is the point you want to just dump that Pecan Roll ball into a mixing bowl, cover it with a tea towel and stash it away in the corner of your kitchen for the next hour and 45 minutes to let that dough rise up again. Once it does, punch it down a few times and then dump it out onto a flat work surface large enough to accommodate all that Pecan Rolls dough rolling that is needed. Once you have the dough rolled out into approximately 16 x 18 rectangle, pour on your melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and lastly the pecans and then gently roll that all up into a tight tube. Cut into 1-inch slices and move to a buttered 9×13 baking pan.
Bake the Pecan Rolls for approximately 25 to 30 minutes until the roles are just lightly browned and then remove from the oven. While your Pecan Rolls are baking mixed together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, salt and powdered sugar and I usually add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk until I reach the consistency that I like. When those Pecan Rolls are done go ahead and slap those bad boys with as much of that icing as you like.. the more the better!!
Keep in mind these Pecan Rolls are also able to be made ahead of time which is a great time save when the holidays roll around. Simply follow the instructions all the way through to placing the cut rolls into the baking pan and then cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. The next day you can remove the Pecan Rolls from the fridge, unwrap and let the rolls come to room temperature, about 45 minutes. Then cook as instructed.
Then you can use your decision on whether or not you want to share them with others or completely horde them for yourself.
Enjoy! ~ Heather
Like what you see? Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest … and yup, even Instagram!
Did you make this? Don’t forget to leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it ????
Pecan Roll Dough
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
Pecan Roll Filling
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup pecan chopped
Pecan Roll Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- Start by mixing together the warm milk and yeast. Let sit until yeast begins to foam and then mix in sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- Slowly sift flour into wet mix and continue to mix until well incorporated. If using a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix until dough pulls away from the bowl and forms into a ball.. approximately 5 minutes. If using a hand mixer, once incorporated turn dough out onto flat surface and hand kneed until dough comes together.
- Move dough to a large bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside for 1 hour and 45 minutes to rise.
- After 1 hour and 45 minutes dough should have doubled in size. Punch down and turn out onto floured flat work surface. Roll dough out to a 1/4 inch thick 16 x 18 rectangle
- Melt butter and brush onto entire surface followed by sprinkling brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
- Starting with 16 inch side, tightly roll up dough to make a log and pinch ends to seal.
- Cut log in half with a sharp knife and then cut each piece in half again. Cut into twelve 1 1/2 inch slices and lay flat in a buttered 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25-27 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- While pecan rolls are baking, make icing. In a medium sized bowl, combine butter and cream cheese and mix until creamy. Add in vanilla, salt and powdered sugar and mix to combine, adding milk to thin out icing to the desired consistency.
- Remove pecan rolls from oven and slather with icing. Serve immediately