Last Updated on by
These Pink Sugar Cookies are crisp on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside.. the perfect Valentine’s Day treat!!
Its THAT time again!!
You know what I mean. The stores are packed with red cellophane covered chocolate hearts and mountains of stuffed animals holding little fabrics hearts that say Love You or Be Mine. There are pink roses and heart balloons and I even saw a pink Darth Vader doll and that confused me more than anything but everywhere you look is pink and red and hearts and lips and Kiss Me! Love Me! BE MINE!!!!! propaganda.
Even Pepto Bismal seems offensive right now!
It’s unavoidable and even this Queen of Halloween cannot escape this one holiday. Big Scary Mike and I have never bought into the Valentines Day hype but we aren’t those people who stand on the argument of “You shouldn’t need corporate driven America to tell you what day to be nice to your loved one.” It just never seemed necessary to us. We are happy and we are solid. We do nice things for each other like start the clothes drier when the other one forgets to and we are mindful of taking the last cheese stick from the pack. That’s real life love, not four foot high pink puppies that will just gather dust and eventually be eaten by one of our dogs. Then who will have to clean that mess up? Me! Is that romantic? No! Will I be happy Mike bought me a four foot high pink puppy right then? I can assure you not.
But if there is one thing that does get celebrated in our house, it’s the mindset that Food is Love. When you can make a special dish or a treat or a dessert for someone and you take your time to show that person you appreciate them, that’s the best thing you will have cooked all week. Today is my birthday (no numbers!) and I came home to find my husband had left work early and rushed home and was making me brownies because that’s what he knows I like and he knows he makes the best brownies. He could have stopped and bought me a huge cake with frosting roses and all that but those brownies will mean more to me than any store bought cake ever could. It’s all about taking the time out of our very busy lives to show that other person they matter. Maybe it doesn’t get said all the time and maybe that other person eats the last cheese stick some days but you take that extra time when it matters most.
So this Valentine’s Day, I wanted to write a recipe that could be quick and easy for anyone to do. A recipe you don’t need to be experienced or kitchen savvy to be able to pull off and a recipe anyone and everyone would appreciate and enjoy. What’s easy to make? Cookies! What kind of cookies does everyone love? Sugar cookies! How can we make them special? MAKE THEM PINK! How can we make them pretty? Add in white chocolate chips.
These are delicious and crisp on the outside while being sinfully sweet and soft on the inside. If you don’t like white chocolate, leave the chips out. The sugar cookies are amazing on their own.
These are also perfect for spring, Easter and Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
So take the time this Valentine’s Day and show your other half how awesome you think they are.. and don’t forget to start the clothes drier!
Like what you see? Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest .. and yup, even Instagram!
Pink Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup sugar + 1/2 cup for rolling
- 1 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz bag of white chocolate morsels
- 1 tube Hot Pink Gel Food Coloring ... or add in red until the desired color is reached
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Start by creaming together the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl
- Add in the egg yolks one at a time and beat into the mixture before adding the next one
- Mix in the vanilla and salt
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and then slowly incorporate into your sugar batter .. this takes time, it will seem very dry at first but will come together nicely
- Add in the Hot Pink Food Coloring (I used two tubes.. way overkill but so pretty) and stir to combine
- Stir in the while chocolate morsels until all have been mixed into the batter
- Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup sugar into a separate bowl and roll your sugar cookies in the sugar to coat
- Spoon into 1.5 inch balls and place them on your cookie sheet - do no flatten!
- Bake for 12 - 3 minutes and remove.. let sit on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before moving the cookies to a wire rack
- Let cool and enjoy!!